In the month of August and September 2022, the long wait of the cricket fans will come to an end with the commencing of the Asia Cup T20 2022. The 15th edition of the Asia Cup 2022 is going to be launched on 27th August 2022 in the United Arab Emirates and the tournament will run till 11th September, the date when the final of the Asia Cup will be held.
The last season or 14th season of the Asia Cup was conducted in 2018 where Men in Blue and Bangladesh reached the final and the Indian team became the champion after defeating Bangladesh by 3 wickets.
Asia Cup 2022 Squad
The tournament comprises 6 Asian cricket teams i.e, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, and Afghanistan, and Hong Kong. The sixth team of the tournament will be from UAE, Kuwait, Singapore, and Hong Kong. The sixth team was decided by the Qualifier round which started on 20th August in order to make a place in the sixth position. The six Asian sides got the finest chance to train before the ICC T20 World Cup at the 15th edition of the Asia Cup.
Asia Cup 2022 Venue
Sri Lanka was originally supposed to host the competition. The Asian Cricket Council, however, proceeded to relocate the destination of the big championship owing to growing political and legal instability in Sri Lanka. Afterward, a decision was taken by the Asian Cricket Council to swift the tournament in the United State Emirates where all 6 teams will fight with each other to claim the championship in three stadiums, i.e, Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Sharjah Cricket Stadium, and Abu Dhabi Cricket Stadium.
Asia Cup 2022 Format
Since the beginning of the Asia Cup, it was played in the form of a 50 overs tournament. Now, the format of the game will be T20 cricket and there will be two pools, Pool A and Pool B. Each pool has got three teams where they play one match against each other each and then 2 teams from each pool will reach the next round i.e, the Super 4 round where each team will contest with the rest three squads, and the top 2 teams will make their spot for the final.
Asia Cup Winners
- Currently, India is sitting at the top position for lifting the title of Asia Cup since 1984, Men in Blue have done this feat 9 times in 1984, 1988, 1990-91, 1995, 2010, and 2018.
- Sri Lanka is sitting at the 2nd position for becoming the Asia Cup Champion and they have won the title 5 times i.e, 1986,1997, 2004, 2008, and 2014.
- Pakistan is in the 3rd position for lifting the Asia Cup trophy on 2 occasions in 2000 and 2012.
- Bangladesh has never been able to win the title of Asia Cup but they have made it to the final in 2012 and 2018 and became runners-up twice.
- Afghanistan reached the Super 4 round once in 2018 whereas Hong Kong and the United State Emirates finished in the group stage each time. Check out Asia Cup Winners List and see which team have won it and which team have never won any Asia Cup.
In the Asia Cup since 1984, Sri Lanka has appeared in 50 matches where they won 34 matches and lost 16 leaving behind India in terms of winning percentage. On the other hand, India appeared in 49 matches out of which they won 31 matches and faced defeat in 16 matches. Pakistan has contested 45 matches where they achieved success in 26 and lost 18 matches.
Sanath Jayasuriya from Sri Lanka holds the record of making the most runs in the Asia Cup whereas Lasith Malinga is the highest wicket-taker with 33 wickets in the Asia Cup since 2013. This is the history of Asia Cup Champions since 1983. This is the history of the Champions in Asia Cup since its inauguration.
Broadcasting Right of Asia Cup 2022
The Star network has achieved the broadcasting rights and all the matches of the Asia Cup 2022 will be enjoyed on the Star Sports network in India, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, and Bangladesh. People can also watch the live streaming online on Disney + Hotstar for a subscription fee. In Pakistan, the Asia Cup will be aired on PTV Sports and Ten Sports.