Denagamage Proboth Mahela de Silva Jayawardene is a Sri Lankan cricketer and one of the strongest pillars of the Sri Lankan squad. Jayawardene was born on 27th May 1977 in Colombo. Jayawardene has played on behalf of Asia XI, Sinhalese Sports Club, Delhi Daredevils, Kochi Tuskers Kerala, Wayamba, Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel, Kings XI Punjab and Sri Lankan national team. Jayawardene is a right handed batsman and also doubles up as a right arm medium bowler.
- Jayawardene’s first international cricket match was in the year 1995-1996. He played both his first List A match as well as First Class match.
- His Test debut was against India at Colombo in the subsequent year of 1997, 2nd August. He scored 66 runs and the match was a draw.
- Jayawardene started his One Day International Career versus Zimbabwe on 24th of January 1998. Sri Lanka won this match by 5 wickets with 10 balls remaining.
- His first T20I was at Southampton on 15th of June 2006 against England
- Jayawardene has over 10,000 runs in both ODI and Test cricket.
- One of his remarkable innings was an unbeaten 103 off 88 balls in 2011 World Cup.
- Was an infallible part of the Sri Lankan squad in the ICC World Twenty20 in 2014.
- In the year 2006, he was nominated as the International Captain of the Year by the ICC.
Jayawardene was educated at the Nalanda Colege in Colombo. His first learning lessons of cricket was at Lionel Coaching Clinic under Nondescripts Cricket Club. He was a part of the Sinhalese Sports Club from1995. Jayawardene was the 69th Sri Lankan Test captain. He also won the “Spirit of Cricket Award” in 2007 .
Jayawardene is married to Christina Mallika Sirisena and is an active contributor to the HOPE CANCER PROJECT.
Records by Mahela Jayawardene